Sunday, September 30, 2007

Redundant Programming on Public TV?

As much as I love the channels of public telecommunications - TV, radio - I often find KCET to lack the number of diverse and interesting programs I have come to expect in public radio. There are exceptions, of course. I like the Saturday Night Movie hosted by Martin Sheen (although Sam Rubin took over during last night's showing of "Honeymoon in Vegas"). I like Huel Howser and his positive and energetic explorations of southland treasures. I also like the novel tv programming from England, mostly a show called "Rosemary and Thyme", that blends dry British humour into a detective series with two daytime horticulturists (wonderful women characters) constantly involved in solving one mystery or another, all while pruning and picking weeds out of huge English gardens. I also love the cooking shows. And the children's programming, undoubtedly.

Today, I saw Ken Burn's "The War", the newest addition to his documetary trove. This ones about WWII. I really enjoyed it the first time. I skimmed through it the second time. Now, as I turn on KCET again, I think it must be on its third or fourth run. I think Sunday's can be big TV days for family's who have a hectic weekday schedule. If that is the case, why is KCET playing the same program all day long? Ken Burns is fine. Why not throw in a little of his "Baseball" documentary? Or mix up the pillage and heartache with a little "Civil War"?

The truth is that weekend TV programming is nil and boring accross the board. At least KCET is spicing it up with an intelligent documentary. Even though they are playing it ad nauseum.

No comments: