Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Starbucks gets pricey

My favorite item on the Starbucks food menu has always been the fruit and cheese plate. One evening, I even called ahead to make sure they had one before I got there. It's a great snack - healthy and delicious. Three pieces of berry and nut encrusted bread, one wedge of camembert, 5 individual grapes, 1 orange slice, 3 cubes of pesto jack cheese and a slice of chedder. Not much - But satisfying. I never used to think about buying it, but these days this small item costs $5.55. On a plane, I can get a sandwhich, chips and cookies for that amount (sure, price fluctuates based on the airline). And Yet I still like buying it. There's something dainty and polished about the fruit and cheese plate that seems to warrant paying the equivalent of a supersized meal at McDonalds. And they say Starbucks is seeing a drop in their earnings? Not if people like me keep paying for 5 individual red grapes!

No comments: