Sunday, May 4, 2008

Run run Santa Monica

I am happy to report I successfully completed my first 10KM race today at the Santa Monica Classic in support of Heal the Bay. The course started around Barnard Way near Ocean Park and went through Main Street for a bit before heading onto Ocean Avenue and then up San Vicente to 11th street and then to the Pier. Since I am a local resident, I was familiar with the course, especially San Vicente, and had trained on the incline that was prevalent through much of the race.

Of course, about 5 minutes before 8AM (go time) I had stomach cramps and considered heading back home, kicking myself for not bringing my Alleve - but I persevered and once we got started, the energy of the crowd washed away any pains. I finished in about 1 hour.

Unhappily, there were hardly any cheerleaders along the beautiful course. I like running, but the lack of interaction between runners and no supporters on the sidelines can emphasize the super-singularity of the sport. Towards the end, I found myself cheering myself on, and then was happy to know that I wasn't alone. One participant actually said "Get your ass moving, you have 3/10 of a mile to go". She was talking to herself.

I encourage sports and running enthusiasts to attend races as cheerleaders. Bring your signs and cheer us on!

I did catch up with one of the runners who was in my pace range at the end of the race at the after party on the pier. She told me about a non-profit - check it out here www.climbinc.org

Happy running.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on finishing! Keep on running