Thursday, August 25, 2011

The (not so strict) Vegan Diet

In my attempts to add something challenging to my daily life, I am going vegan for one month. I can't pinpoint what made me decide, except that a perusal through PETA's website has the power to convert any meat-eater to veganism for at least daylight hours. Cows are kept pregnant all year round? Some enriched sugar is siphoned through charred animal bone? What?!?!

Although I have maintained a pescatarian diet for about three months, it's not easy to go all-out and eat vegan. I started nearly a week ago, and I can't be sure whether the bread I have eaten was devoid of all dairy - in fact, it probably wasn't. But aside from that, I have maintained the diet pretty well. After speaking to a friend who was vegan for a year, I have added a B-complex vitamin and take this and other supplements daily. I've noticed changes in digestion, and am adding more fruits and vegetables to ensure I get the fiber I need. I was eating a lot of cheese prior to this, so although I no longer have that as my go-to snack, it's probably for the best. On the whole, I feel pretty good, and may even take it longer than a month.

But let's get through the month first.



Vegan truffle from Whole Foods.

No comments: