Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Who're You Calling Hermit? Great Discovery at L.A. Times Festival of Books


Howard Junker, the editor of Zyzzyzva, a popular literary journal based out of San Francisco, remarks on the never-ending slushpile of manuscripts he receives as editor (slushpile: unsolicited material in hopes of finding a home) and how he “admires the tenacity of writers.” For many unpublished writers, the process of submitting their work of fiction to literary journals like Zyzzyva is a test in personal drive and faith. Having received kind rejections myself, I know how difficult it is to push forth, continue submitting, continue writing, until at last, your piece is no longer homeless. It’s wonderful, it’s an affirmation, but it’s also just the beginning.

Take the writer of the published novel. She has completed two major milestones - Completion and publication. Her friends and family will definitely buy a copy (we hope), but how many will that add up to? Fifty, one hundred, maybe two hundred? Not nearly enough. She must trek on and not only appeal to her next of kin, but to the stranger across the country, and the browsers in the bookstore who would fall in love with her book, if they only knew about it.

But wait, you say, aren't writers all curmudgeonly hermits lacking in social skills? Well, no. Or at least not all of us. But consider this, if a person writes a book, but nobody reads it, are they considered a writer? Hmmm.

Writers sell themselves by going on book tours, signing at festivals, and attending any other sort of function that will increase their visibility. Take the Los Angeles Festival of Books this past April. Touted as the largest book fair in the country, I find it as proof that L.A. not only has culture, but volumes and volumes of it. There was a booth for every kind of writer, from every kind of discipline, from every corner of the city and county.

Because of this, I had the fortune of making a great literary discovery. In fact, had I spent more time speaking with the abundant number of writers present, I'm sure to have been bowled over by many talented, humble, and interesting writers. That is, if Joan Blacher, my literary discovery, is a fair representation of the writers who were there - published, talented, but under the radar.

Joan Blacher was set up in one of the mystery related tents; I don't think it was "Sisters in Crime", since the sister standing right next to her was a brother. She looked so sincere, so alone yet inviting, like all she wanted was someone to ask her about herself. I felt it was my moral obligation to stop. . And I'm glad I did.

Joan Blacher is a forensic psychologist who was on the faculty of Cal Lutheran University and is an expert on troubled teens. Her novel, "Murder Canyon", was based on an actual murder that occurred near her home in the Oxnard area north of Los Angeles. After a lengthy chat with her, writer to writer, I decided to buy her book.

Once I started reading "Murder Canyon", the pages just whizzed by. I couldn't put it down. Actually, she didn't have to do much to win me over. I'm a big fan of brazen, scrappy, and hard-headed female characters with a heart, and hers definitely fit the bill.

Her main character actually reminded me a lot of Kinsey Milhone, the heroine in Sue Grafton's popular ABC murder novels. Except Joan's is older, a professor, and happily married. It's funny actually, since both characters also live in the same general area of California.

I was actually shocked at certain parts in "Murder Canyon" by it's frank honesty and cold blood. Joan is a white-haired older lady who looks too prim and proper to engage her reader in beheadings and blood splatter. But then again, you can never paint a writer by their work alone, and the juxtaposition of a grandmotherly intellectual and a realistic murder mystery was a peppery fact I kept in the back of my head while reading her book.

Joan Blacher is a member of "Sisters in Crime", a national organization for women mystery writers. I checked out the site and was referred to many talented women writers in this genre. I encourage you to find your favorite writer at http://www.sistersincrimela.com/ . That's the LA site. There is also a national website.

I would not have found Joan on my own if she didn’t attend the L.A Times Festival of Books. I wonder about all the other great writers out there who are just under the radar and whose work I would probably enjoy. Let this be a lesson to all writers everywhere. The hermit life is not for us. Market yourself, sell yourself, and if anyone asks, tell them you’re a writer. You may find yourself a new fan.

Info about Joan is available at www.joanblacher.com

Happy reading!

1 comment:

antonia said...

i love that book fair! they've got great panels too :)