Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Running on the Sun – Victory for Victims 8K


I expected the day to be hot but my expectations were exceeded when I stepped outside at 7:30am on Sunday morning to an uncharacteristically sunny morning. If it was warm at 7:30am, how will it be a whole hour from now?

The sunny day piqued my concern since I was about to run an 8k race(about 5 miles exactly) in Encino for the annual Victory for Victims run. It's a charity race whose proceeds benefit the Child Assault Treatment Services of the Northridge Hospital. Since I live in Santa Monica and usually run early in the morning or at dusk, I am not really trained for running in the heat. But since I am planning on doing the LA Marathon in late May, I’ll need to get accustomed to it – Sooner or later.

Lake Balboa is a beautiful place to run. The lake itself reminds me of the Bois de Boulogne Forrest in Paris which has an immense lake nestled within its trees. In France, the lake is used for all sorts of recreation. I’ve seen runners looping around its circumference, lovers renting paddle boats and rowing downstream, and a group of dog therapists taking their pooches out for a walk. Lake Balboa is smaller, but it is also a favorite with local residents. There are paddle boats for rent here too. And unlike the dogs I had seen on regular visits in the Bois, the Encino lake is home to a large flock of geese.

Although the run started near the lake, it was mostly kept through running pathways away from the regular park crowd. One particularly long hot stretch was smack in the middle of a small field of dry brush. Around mile 3-4 was in a pretty arid area and the only thing that kept me going was the dream of an oasis – Some sort of water station up ahead. I would recommend organizers to add a water station here if it is as hot again next year.

My time was a little over what was expected but at a pace of about 10:26, I finished in around 51:43 minutes. I had to include a few brief walk breaks - It must have been 80 degrees.

Country music DJ Shaun Parr and the appearance of KTLA’s Commander Chuck Street (and his helicopter!) added to a great atmosphere. Next time – more country music!

Check out my photos - from fotojack.com


This is me at the home stretch.

No comments: