Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Best films of 2007

I saw the film "The Lookout" last night since it is nominated for a Spirit Award for best first feature and I am voting this year. The film itself has a few exciting moments - but it's Joseph Gordon-Levitt who really carries the picture as the male lead, with Jeff Daniels who also shines as supporting male. Gordon-Levitt, whom many of us remember as the kid from "Third Rock From the Sun", impresses with a vulnerability rare amongst actors his age. I'm sure we will continue to see him shine as his career further develops.

After I saw this film, I started to consider my list for best films of 2007. I came up with a list of five - mostly foreign language and all with deeply satisfying scripts that relate on an acutely human level. I have written blog posts about 3 of them and highly recommend them all. Check them out!

- The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (blog entry)

- Blame it on Fidel (La Faute a Fidel) (blog entry) I'm shocked that this film was not nominated in the best foreign language category for the Oscars or the Spirit Awards.

- Two Days in Paris

- Caramel (which I just found out, will be playing at the Laemmle on Sunset and Crescent Heights) (blog entry) I don't know if this film came out in the US last year, since I saw it in Paris. It is by a Lebanese film maker and the movie is set in Beirut. Really lovely.

- The Kite Runner

No comments: