Monday, February 4, 2008

What monstrous creation is this?

So my favorite new coffee place in Pete's Coffee. I don't like the actual location of it as much as my Starbucks or Coffee Bean, or lovely lovely Literati, but Pete's surpasses all of them in that they brew the best cup of joe. And I mean keep you awake for 24 hours coffee - that good. But the one I have started to frequent is quite dark and not suitable to intense Shakespeare reading, or laptop writing, and besides, it closes at 6PM.

But what the title of this blog entry really alludes to isn't any of that - but a particular baked good sold there. It's an artichoke muffin. I think it was low fat, and it looked disgusting. Like a monster. An abnormal mutant hybrid of two good things that yielded something disfigured, and I'm quite sure, ostracized by it's more normal baked good neighbors. In fact, Pete's doesn't even include this artichoke creation on its website. I wouldn't either.

I asked the man behind the counter what the artichoke muffin tasted like, and he admitted to never having eaten it before. My recommendation? Not all good things need to be combined. An artichoke is best by itself, with a nice vinagrette to dip it in. It has no place in the muffin world.

Now if anyone has actually tasted one of these, please let me know.

No comments: